Books!

I used to be a bookworm.

Special emphasis on the "used to be".

It makes me incredibly sad that something I used to be so passionate about has slowly faded away from my life, page by page. There was a time when I carried a book around everywhere. I used to spend hours and hours pouring over the pages of my then favourite author. Just one more page. And another. And another. Every evening, I would immerse myself in yet another adventure. (Plot twists were the most exciting things in 10 year old Priya's life.)

Sadly, there came a time in my life when all of my hobbies were lost. Reading became a bit of a chore, and I found myself staring at the same page for almost half an hour before I realised that I wasn't making any progress whatsoever. In the few years that have passed, I've managed to pick up a couple of the hobbies I lost - baking, jigsaw puzzles and TV amongst others. Reading is the one I have struggled the most with.

The bookworm inside me is still alive. Over the past couple of years, I have continuously scoured the shelves of charity shops and bought myself a fair few books! One would think that the heightening stack of unread books would provide enough motivation to read - but it's been a little difficult. 

I guess the purpose of this post is simply to state online that I need to start reading again. Those poor souls on my shelf are a little unhappy I think. Perhaps if I made a statement online, I would be more encouraged to live up to it. 

I miss the late nights spent trying to finish a book. I miss cursing every time my eyes accidentally dropped to the end of page, and the excitement of a good plot twist. I miss the tears shed over an emotional ending. I miss turning a page, and waking up with a book in my hand. I miss reading, most dearly. 

Here's to hoping I won't be missing those things in the near future. 

-

Priya.

Comments

Popular Posts