Wanderlust.

'wanderlust' (noun) - the wish to travel far away and to many different places

"The term originates from the German words 'wandern' (to hike) and 'lust' (desire). The term 'wandern', frequently misused as a false friend, does in fact not mean "to wander", but "to hike." Placing the two words together, translated: "enjoyment of hiking", although it is commonly described as an enjoyment of strolling, roaming about or wandering." (Source: Wikipedia)

I am lucky to live in an era where the ease and convenience of travelling is constantly increasing. Alongside this, the desire to travel also seems to be increasing just as rapidly. If there is one thing I am most certain of in life, it is that I wish to travel. I have no sense of certainty about my future career ambitions or personal goals; but I am certain that I would like to travel the world.

Many people - including myself - have similar reasons behind their growing wanderlust. Travel may be for personal satisfaction and enjoyment, to widen one's horizons, gain a new perspective or to explore the variety of culture and history found in different corners of the world. 

What baffles me most about the concept of travel, is how I set out with the intention of exploring an unknown city and return home with a feeling of accomplishment. But how justified is this 'accomplishment'? Yes, I may have visited a strange place and explored its most famous sites - but what do I actually know about it? 

As a traveller, I am simply that - and nothing more. A passer-by. A fleeting footprint. And how much can I learn from a visit? I will never know what it feels like to live and work here, or to walk the local streets and know them like the back of my hand. This place that I pass through as a traveller is somebody's home. It scares me that I may not be able to see past the mask of tourism and into the heart of a home. 

And my home is another person's travel stop. I know that I most definitely take having the city of London on my doorstep for granted, and have not yet learned to fully appreciate the beauty of the city I call home. 

I guess the reason I'm writing about this now is because I have recently returned from the annual Summer travels - this time including Dubai and Sorrento. I found myself passing judgements about these cities using sweeping statements such as "it's too artificial; it's too busy; I couldn't live here." After giving it some thought, I realised that I am in no position to make such statements because relatively speaking - I know nothing about the city that I am visiting.

I don't think there's any way around this. Until you actually live somewhere and experience life as a citizen, it's difficult to make any sort of judgement. Of course, I have nothing against travelling. On the contrary, I would make travelling my career if it were possible. I just hope that I can keep these thoughts in mind when I'm travelling in the future.

~posts about Sorrento and Dubai will be up pretty soon ~

-

Priya.


Comments

Popular Posts